July 15, 2009

I love you, Wednesdays.

Ever find yourself surprised when you notice something that you typically can't stand all of a sudden inspires you?
For example, the owl. If someone were to mention Owls to me, the first thing that would pop in my head is a nasty ugly wood-worked owl that used to stare at us from my grandma's living room wall. Or I would think of the Chi-Omega sorority house that was full of them... and not necessarily the cute kind. Or I would think of orange and brown 70's nastiness that still creeps the floors and walls of many a mobile home (my grandma's not excluded!). Or I would think creepy bird that stays up all night "guarding" the place. Ugh. Gives me the creeps. Oh, and let's not forget the fact that Harry Potter 6 releases today. My friend Cheryl reminded me that the owl who delivers the mail in HP's name is Hedwig. I should probably know this since HP is all around me, as I work at the movie studio that made it (example: I am staring at the HP poster that hangs directly behind my computer screen. Disclaimer: I have only ever seen the first movie and read it's corresponding book. Don't hate).
However, I saw this charm at
Beadnicks in Minneapolis the other day and couldn't resist. The lady at the counter asked me if I liked owls and didn't understand why I laughed in response. Apparently I like this owl. In fact, it seems the retro/vintage owl movement is back, as seen in the following super cute Etsy items:
Be sure to visit their shops for more Owl-ness!
I dunno... something is so darn cute about each of these items. Kind of like how we as humans have the ability to artistically make lions and other DANGEROUS animals all cuddly and sweet. I definitely don't think of dirty barns or creepy eyes when I see these owls. I think retro, chic, colorful, urban (though it's a barn animal!), modern, etc.
Something about them inspires me to embrace this silly little bird after all - at least if done as tastefully as these examples! So, in honor of today's release of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, and in honor of that which surprisingly inspires us, I give you THE OWL.

5 comments:

  1. I am a fairly new owl admirer too!

    Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAYA!! Hogwarts lovin! AND it's pink! Does it get any better than that?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, that is well cute! I think owls just look cool I mind I saw a while owl when I was on holiday so cool and different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the pink owl - such a hot colour, and you are so correct in saying that retro vintage is back in full force - it's funny, I wrote a blog entry about it last night! Love your blog by the way :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the chuckle and smile you've put on my face! I think I'm more drawn to the fab hot pink and lime green combo than the owl. I keep going back and forth the owl trend (actually, the Whole bird trend, in general)....one minute I find something with an owl or a bird and love it and the next I'm thinking not so much. I guess you can just call me fickle when it comes to fowl! :>

    ReplyDelete