April 26, 2010

Pearls a Plenty!

I love me some pearls. Not only do I love wearing them, but I love creating with them because they are an affordable luxury. A few weeks ago when I was in Quartzsite, AZ I bought more pearls that I usually buy in China (in fact, I bought the kinds of pearls that up until then I had only ever found IN China)! 
This first necklace in particular is inspired by the FIRST pearl necklace I ever made for myself. I bought these green pearls at "The Dirt Market" in Beijing in 2004 and, not knowing any better, strung them on fishing wire and a lame-o twist-it clasp. I love wearing it with another similar green necklace in layers (as seen here in a picture of me back in 2007 right before seeing Phantom on Broadway) :)


So here is the new and improved version, available on Etsy:


Purple Pearl Princess Necklace






I also bought some pearl balls, which I used to make necklaces back when I first opened my Etsy shop in 2008 - they sold so fast but I couldn't get more charms to re-stock them! Should have known I would find them in Quartzsite -- and in different colors!


Cream and Silver Pearl Cluster Necklace





Gold and Salmon Pearl Cluster Necklace




I also had some fun creating custom jewelry with pearls this week. My sorority Big, Katie, e-mailed awhile back asking for some custom jewelry as a gift for her cousin at her graduation. Katie said: "She likes purple and funky, though not really chunky... plus she has dark skin and dark hair, so a deep purple would really flatter her features." I suggested to Katie that I play with some of the deep purple pearls I bought last week, in addition to a stash of purple seed beads I have had sitting around the house. She and I agreed on a long necklace that could be wrapped around the neck and be worn long or short, in addition to a coordinating (not matching!) bracelet (aiming for funky but not chunky). Here is what I came up with:
(bracelet pays homage to one of my favorite bracelets to sell, though most time consuming to make, from when I first opened my shop)


And here is what Katie had to say:
"*MOUTH WIDE OPEN* Man, I love them!!!  You have done an amazing job, Christyn.  Seriously, these are sooooo gorgeous!!!  I am thrilled with them-- I can't wait to give them to my high-style cousin.  I think she is going to love them! I have to show these to my husband.  They are awesome!  Thank you soooooooo much!"


::pats self on back...!::

Katie also asked for a somewhat simple, single pearl necklace to go with the pearl earrings she wearing everyday. She said, "I really want a simple necklace that has a twist to it -- possibly a single pearl with wire wrapped around the top in a cone formation?" I thought and thought about how to go about making this, and finally sat myself down and went to town -- and on the first try came up with this...!

Katie liked it: "Ah!  Score again.... geez, Christyn, you're good!  I really like it a lot!!!  Perfect for what I want-- everyday wear, with something a little special.  I love that it's made by you and not something generic I picked up on sale at Kohls!"


I will be posting more custom creations later this week... in the meantime, I better get back to creating my Summer Line!

5 comments:

  1. Show the other one!!! You have to! And don't forget the Milano cookie part. It's the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am DROOLING over the jewelry you made for both Katie and her cousin!! I remember that fabby uber beaded green bracelet you made (and its post!) and I just ADORE it in the deep purples!! Love, love, love, LOVE! :>

    ReplyDelete
  3. That necklace makes me want to have you make a custom-made necklace to match the Green With Envy Cluster bracelet I already purchased from you. Hmmmm.... =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love pearls! Those cluster necklaces are darling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo, I love the double strand! I can definitely see why you came up with a refined version :)

    ReplyDelete